Dan Martin, CEO at Elmtronics answered a few questions, so we can all get to know him a little bit better!
What’s your name and where do you come from?
Dan Martin and I live in Burnopfield, Newcastle upon Tyne, I’m a proud Geordie!
What’s your role and how long have you worked at Elmtronics?
I am the Elmtronics Group of companies’ CEO, I have worked at Elmtronics since time began.
What’s a typical day at the office like?
- Pull up, plug my car in
- Coffee machine
- Check-in with the team, see how they all are, see if anything catastrophic has happened overnight, find out what everyone has been up to
- Look through reports, check customer feedback
- Lots of meetings
- More meetings & phone calls
- Try to get some work done
- Realise home time has crept up on me
- Repeat the next day!
What’s your favourite part of your job?
Genuinely in seven years in this job, I have never had two days the same. I love creating, visualising and pushing as hard as possible to make as much difference as we can. I love building an amazing team and get great joy and energy from my colleagues.
This is the most exciting and rewarding job I have ever had the privilege to have!!
What’s the most inspiring part of your job?
My team, they all inspire me and pick me up if I’m having a bad day. They are all amazing and bring something special to the table.
How would your colleagues describe you in 3 words?
Disorganised, energetic, great dancer (that’s technically 4, but we’ll let him off)
If you could be anywhere else right now, where would you be?
My dad lives in Spain and I haven’t seen him for a while, I would like to be sitting in the afternoon sun sharing a cold beer with him.
Complete the sentence
My favourite word is – Possible
I am happiest when – I’m busy
The best film of all time is – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
My karaoke banger would be – Common People, Pulp
If I won the lottery tomorrow I would – Employ loads more people and build a bigger office with a cinema, gym, bar and huge garden to grow veg!
You’re speaking to your 14-year-old self, what one piece of advice or words of wisdom would you give them?
- Don’t worry, school is not the best bit, I promise, it all comes good in the end!
- Your life a year from now is the result of what you do now, be patient!
- Prepare to be wrong…A LOT!
- Get out of your comfort zone, that’s where the best stuff happens!
- Read proper books by people who inspire you.
- Run Fast, take risks, fail as often as possible, laugh at yourself, don’t be afraid, everyone is scared, intention is nothing without action, action is nothing without intention.
- Don’t eat that chicken pie March 2004, it’s poisonous!
- Grand National winners
2002- Red Marauder
2003- Monty’s Pass
2004- Amberleigh House
And finally…Cats or dogs?